Thursday, January 2, 2014

Attack on Titan

The last anime cartoon I'm quite familiar with is the Pokemon series. That show was a huge part of my childhood which always left me enamored. Now that feeling has risen again after watching and reviewing the show RWBY. After watching RWBY I've been getting into checking out other animes. I've recently watched an anime called Attack on Titan after hearing good things about it. I got to say I enjoyed it but there were a few things that did hinder my enjoyment.

Plot: Humanity is living behind giant walls that were built for protection against giant humanoids called Titans. One day the Titans manage to break through the walls and humanity declares war on the invaders. The Titans are winning but humanity begins to slowly gain a foothold eradicating them.

Characters:
  • Eren Jaeger: Main protagonist and has a desire to fight against the Titans. He has a special gift that is questioned by others but his determination to save humanity negates those doubts.

  • Mikasa Ackerman: Adopted sister of Eren and always is nurturing towards him. On the battlefield she's adaptable and possesses skills that surpass her teammates. 

  • Armin Arlet: Best friend of Eren and Mikasa. He has a talent with words other than actions.   
Again there are several other characters but for now these are the most important.

Critique: I felt the same way I felt after watching RWBY, I enjoyed this series and I'm left begging for more. The theme of the story is facing your own problems and using every alternative to fight it. The question of fighting back is the story's main drive and can be seen constantly throughout the episodes. Another aspect is that there unexpected twists and turns that leave you hanging in your seat. There was so much I had to take in because the story had a fast pace. I did enjoy the action and visual scenes involving the Titans. The Titans were probably the best part because they never stopped killing soldiers until they were destroyed. Visually the animation is pretty graphic and I'd recommend this series for mature audiences only.

On the downside the series tends to drag on towards the end. Half of the time I was waiting for something to happen and it took like one or two episodes just to get to it. Also there were excess filler episodes that slightly deviated from present focus in the story. This made the story a little confusing but after rewatching the confusing episodes I gained a better understanding. Also there's one plot hole left after watching the series. Eren has a task to fufill but I'm sure it's going to be covered in the next season. Technically this series is based on a manga so I will need to check that out as well.

Pro:
  • Several action sequences
  • Storytelling is smooth and theme presentation is clear.
  • Twists and turns around each corner

Cons:

  • Filler episodes that interrupt story
  • Plot hole for now
  • Based on Manga so need to read those first

As the whole I give this series a rating of at least 4 stars out of 5. I recommend this to fans and newcomers of anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment